We had probably one of the best Christmases ever this year being at home. We were 2 weeks in to a 6 week hospital stay for Oliver’s transplant on Christmas last year. We still have to be extremely careful that Oliver does not get sick so he still was not able to attend every Christmas event, but we modified things so he could do as much as possible!
- The Lighted Christmas Parade! This was Oliver’s dream come true! He loves anything to do with tractors, trucks, etc. and he also loves lights. He was so fascinated by the lights and tractors. We were able to watch from a not very crowded spot so Oliver wouldn’t be in contact with anyone else.
- The Nutcracker! Eliza and I got to see the Nutcracker Ballet at Mt. Baker Theater with family and she LOVED it! She couldn’t stop talking about it the next day. I’m probably always going to be just a little bit stressed out going into crowds/busy places and hearing so many people coughing and sneezing and this was no exception but thankfully Eliza did not seem to catch anything from going!
- Matching Christmas Pajamas! I was going back and forth of whether or not to buy matching Christmas pajamas and I’m SO glad I did! We wore them so many nights and almost all day on Christmas day. The kids loved matching and I want to continue this tradition in years to come!
- Bringing Eliza to church for the first time in nearly a year and a half. We always need a babysitter when we go to church because Oliver can’t be in crowds. I wanted so badly to take our entire family to Christmas Eve service this year, but we just couldn’t risk it with Oliver. Instead we took Eliza to church the Sunday before Christmas and kept her in the row with us wearing a mask. She loved the worship and fell asleep on our laps during the service.
- Getting to have Christmas parties with friends and family. We even hosted Christmas for my side of the family!
- Spending a quiet Christmas morning with our family. We made breakfast, opened gifts, and then were able to have a quiet day at home in our Christmas pajamas. I was so incredibly thankful for this gift.
We don’t know what 2020 holds for us, especially for Oliver but we are so thankful for the huge blessing that Christmas this year was. We will continue to celebrate that Jesus came to save us so that we can spend eternity with him, no matter what comes our way.